Friday 2 May 2014

Living below the line


People who know me will tell you I always think about my stomach! But today I really am hungry! 

Today is the last day of the live below the line challenge. Where I have had to live off just £1 a day for food and drink. (Tap water is free thankfully)

The reason behind this is a vast amount of the worlds population have to live on less money than this every day.

So I have been taking part in this challenge trying to get sponsorship to help raise some money. The money raised will enable The Salvation Army to help these people.

It has been an interesting week. Apart from a tin of cheap meatballs (which probably didn't have much meat in them) I have not had any meat all week. 

I have had plenty of food to eat. Problem is it has all been rice, poridge or noodles.

All totally carb heavy and not a balanced diet in the slightest.

But food wise it has been ok. Drinking nothing but the odd black tea (really horrible) and tap water has been hard as I missed my coffee fix.

But this challenge has really opened my eyes and made me aware of something totally different.

I have had a cold this week. But no matter how much medicine I got and took it just did not get better. In the end I admitted defeat and went to the doctors and got put on anti biotics; because my cold was actually sinusitis.

Although I have spent only £5 on food this week I have probably spent about £25 on medicine.

It really made me think, how blessed I am to be able to get medicine and have the money to be able to look after myself.

How many people in the world have to make the choice between medicine and food? 

This challenge has opened my eyes and made me see that to many in the world things we take for granted are things they can't ever afford or get hold of.

But charities like The Salvation Army are there trying to help these people.

If you would like to sponsor me or find out more about the challenge you can visit my page:


I will leave you with two of my food disasters this week.

An exploding bowl of poridge and a sink full of rice. (Which I had to dig out, plate up and eat anyway!)

The Sailing Salvationist




No comments:

Post a Comment