Friday 11 April 2014

Refit

Hello again, another week and here is another post.

I spent last week visiting Clare, and it was great to spend some time together.

Last Saturday we went into Liverpool. I took Clare around to the back of the Albert Docks to look at the Mersey River.

Although I did have a motive! My ship is in refit in Birkenhead. I stood there around the back of Liverpool One and I could just see my ship. 

It's very hard to work out in this photo as I had to zoom in a long way, but trust me it's there! Just behind the yellow cranes.

It's hard to narrow down exactly how I felt standing there looking at my ship as it is being totally stripped down.

Some people will find this hard to understand, but when you spend so long on a ship it literally becomes part of you. 

For large periods of time the ship is everything, it's your home, work place, transport, bed and sometimes hated prison cell. You eat, sleep, work, play and bleed on the ship.

So I felt quite sad to see it in such a state. But this is not the end of the ships life. (Although I will never sail on her again).

She is being refitted. Stripped down and then totally rebuilt. She will come out of refit next year almost a new ship. 

She will be more comfortable, fitter for purpose and ready for any tasking she is ever given.

So apart from the fact I'm giving a bit too much away about how much I have become attached to a lump of metal, what's the point of this post?

Well it dawned on me this refit is much like the refit God has carried out in many of our lives.

God takes our batter old and worn life and transforms us into a new creation! 

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV)

It's true. I know it's true; it's happened to me! 

It's not always easy to accept the refit God wants to make in out lives. But when we let him change and mould us we come out of Gods refit , fitter for purpose and ready for any tasking we are given.

So don't resist God, let him refit your life.

The Sailing Salvationist






No comments:

Post a Comment